I recently joined a cooperative blog called Artist Ambition. The blog is about the challenges and exercises the participating artists give themselves in order to improve. As I sat down to write my introduction and wish list or plan, I realized that I am not as clear on what I want to achieve in my art as I thought. I have been so focused on the business side that I have forgotten the creative side. Joining this group of artists in their journeys into improve their art has opened my eyes to my own journey.
I want to bring more creativity into my work. My subject, themes, color schemes, and overall compositions are safe. Here’s my list to explore:
- participate in Sketchfest whenever possible to expand subjects and themes
- Anatomy studies – hands and feet; how the head, neck and torso go together; proportions ( have a tendency to draw very short legged people); and the core/torso
- Color – explore limited color palettes and unusual colors. Do studies in reflected color
- Composition – explore more dynamic figures and groups of figures
- Environment – any… I need the practice
In the spirit of moving forward, here are some of my recent paintings. Yes, more fish. I’m actually going to do a lot more fish. Like the alphabet, it is a personal project.