I recently joined a cooperative blog called Artist Ambition. The blog is about the challenges and exercises the participating artists give themselves in order to improve. As I sat down to write my introduction and wish list or plan, I realized that I am not as clear on what I want to achieve in my art as I thought. I have been so focused on the business side that I have forgotten the creative side. Joining this group of artists in their journeys into improve their art has opened my eyes to my own journey.
I want to bring more creativity into my work. My subject, themes, color schemes, and overall compositions are safe. Here’s my list to explore:
- participate in Sketchfest whenever possible to expand subjects and themes
- Anatomy studies – hands and feet; how the head, neck and torso go together; proportions ( have a tendency to draw very short legged people); and the core/torso
- Color – explore limited color palettes and unusual colors. Do studies in reflected color
- Composition – explore more dynamic figures and groups of figures
- Environment – any… I need the practice
In the spirit of moving forward, here are some of my recent paintings. Yes, more fish. I’m actually going to do a lot more fish. Like the alphabet, it is a personal project.
2 Replies to “My Art Goals”
I am glad you’ll join! I do see that my list is rather naive compared to other people’s though, there is so much I need to improve!
I thought yours was more specific and focused than mine. And you laid down how you were going to approach working on color and composition. Besides, you can always add more as you go.